KUALA LUMPUR: Four suspects being hunted by Bukit Aman in the assassination of North Korean exile Kim Jong-nam are believed to be back in Pyongyang after leaving the country for Jakarta immediately after the attack.
The four – Rhi Ji-hyon, 33, (arrived in Malaysia on Feb 4), Hong Song-hac, 34, (arrived Jan 31), O Jong-gil, 55, (arrived Feb 7) and Ri Jae-nam, 57, (arrived Feb 1) – left for Jakarta from KLIA2 immediately after the attack on Monday.
From Jakarta, sources say they flew to Dubai and Vladivostok before reaching Pyongyang.
“They may have taken the long route to shake off the authorities,” sources said.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said Malaysian police are cooperating with Interpol and other relevant bodies overseas to track them.
Bukit Aman’s first priority is to collect all evidence on the suspects’ involvement in the case.
“Next plan is to get them. We will use all resources to pursue them,” Noor Rashid told a press conference, the first by the police since the killing.
On the possibility that the murder was politically motivated, Noor Rashid said the police were not interested in any political angle.
“What we are interested in is why they committed such a crime in our country.
“Any political angle can be put aside as it is not our job to worry about political matters.
“We want to get at the truth and bring the perpetrators to justice,” he said.
He said police were also looking for North Korean citizen Ri Ji-u, 30, also known as James, along with two others to help in investigations.
Of those arrested, Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong, 28, arrived from Hanoi on Feb 4 while Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 25, a spa masseuse, entered the country via Batam on Feb 2.
North Korean Ri Jong-chol, 47, was arrested on Friday and entered Malaysia on Aug 6 last year.
“We are in the process of identifying the two others sought to assist in the investigations,” said Noor Rashid.
“We hope anyone with information can come forward,” he said.
On Jong-nam’s post-mortem, Noor Rashid said that it was conducted on Feb 15 at Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
“The cause of death is still unknown. We are waiting for the toxicology and pathological test results. I think in a few days, we will get the toxicology result.
“The case will be referred to the deputy public prosecutor for further instructions and investigation,” he said.
Priority is given to close family members or next of kin to claim the body and they have been given two weeks to do so, added Noor Rashid.
“It is very important for close family members of the deceased to come forward to assist us in the process of identification, which is based on our legal procedures and Malaysian law.
“However, as of today, we have not met the next of kin. We are trying very hard to get the next of kin to assist us,” he said.
In the event that the family does not show up, Noor Rashid said police will look at further options.
North Korean chemist was in anti-cancer businessRelated posts:
orth Korean Dynasty ‘Siti told me she was in a North Korean movie’ A
divorcee who has been …
South Korea, in particular, could take a leaf from Japan’s playbook on
preparing for a face-…