Defects causing delay of move to RM9mil Batu Ferringhi market
The scheduled relocation of traders to the RM9mil Batu Ferringhi market on Aug 14 is postponed to a later date until shortcomings such as leakage in the washrooms and cracks on the floor are fixed.
Lim checking on the condition of the market.- Photos: ZHAFARAN NASIB/The Star
SENIOR officers of the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) were left red-faced after Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng spotted several defects in the almost completed RM9mil Batu Ferringhi market during a site visit.
Lim, who was irked with the shortcomings, asked his officers to collect back copies of his text speech given earlier to reporters.
“Before I came in, I went to the washroom. I thought it would be ready.
“But the male washroom was locked and I had to use the unoccupied ladies washroom instead.
“If the market is considered ready (by the council), then it is unacceptable,” he said.
It is learnt that the ladies washroom was leaking and some of the taps had yet to be fixed.
Lim, who was walking to the dining area, was stopped by several traders who requested the council delay their relocation into the market which was earlier scheduled on Aug 14.
Speaking to newsmen, Lim said another date would be set.
“We cannot fix a date now until we are satisfied that the shortcomings have been rectified,” he said.
MBPP mayor Datuk Maimunah Mohd Sharif said she would hold discussions with the market contractor and architect.
“Cracks have also appeared on the floor of the badminton courts,” she said.
Maimunah said the council had issued the Certificate of Practical Completion (CPC) for the market but not the Certificate of Completion and Compliance (CCC).
The market was scheduled for completion by the end of last year.
There are 16 hawker stalls, 28 wet and dry market units, a multipurpose hall, a library, three badminton courts, playground, bicycle path, shower rooms and 90 parking bays.
Source: The Star/ANN by Intan Amalina Mohd Ali